Moving abroad during your retirement

Do you live abroad or move abroad during your retirement? If so, your gross pension will not change. Information that may be of interest to you is listed below. 

  • Receiving a pension abroad
  • Dutch taxes
  • Health insurance
  • Proof of being alive

Receiving retirement benefits abroad

Transferring your pension benefit abroad has several consequences:

  • it may take longer for the pension benefit to appear in your foreign account number
  • our bank may charge costs for transferring to a foreign account number
  • the receiving bank may also charge costs

The banks deduct these costs from your pension payment. So you will keep less from your pension benefit.

Dutch taxes

Even if you live abroad, you are required to pay tax on the pension paid in the Netherlands. That is why we have to deduct income tax from your pension. Do you live in a country with which the Netherlands has a treaty to avoid double taxation? If so, you can ask the Dutch Tax Administration to issue an exemption certificate. In the request, always include our wage tax number (xxxx) and the name of the fund (Nedlloyd Pension Fund).

After receiving the exemption statement, we will no longer withhold payroll tax from your pension.

Apply for an exemption

Health Insurance

If you emigrate abroad, your Dutch health insurance will lapse. Are you still receiving a pension from the Netherlands? And are you moving to or living in a treaty country? In that case, you will be entitled to medical care in your new country of residence. You will have to register with CAK. Read more about this on the CAK website.

Proof of life

Do you live abroad and receive a pension from us? Then we will request your 'Proof of life' annually. Because you live abroad, changes in your personal situation are not automatically passed on to us.

You can submit your proof digitally using an app on a smartphone. Are you unable to do that? Then you can submit your proof digitally via MyNPFPension, send it by mail or by post. Make sure we receive the form by 31 December to avoid suspending your retirement benefits.

Read more